choppier in 0.2.91

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Thu Nov 29 20:00:11 CET 2001

Christophe Massiot wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001, Jeremy Bailin wrote:
>
> > I'd assumed it was XFree, since I've had other problems with 4.1.0 and
> > will probably downgrade soon anyway, but by reinstalling vlc 0.2.82 from
> > my old rpm I've discovered that it was at fault - with vlc 0.2.82 and the
> > rest of the system unchanged, the video is smooth again.
>
> Could you try 0.2.91 with vlc -V sdl ?

-V sdl is completely screwed in vlc 0.2.9x .
SDL tries to change the video mode of X to get fullscreen.
However, with many DVDs this results not in fullscreen, but in
a very much horizontally stretched video output which verically
seems to be sqeezed, so the aspect ration is completely messed
up.

By the way: I observe the same thing: vlc 0.2.9x is choppier
than the older 0.2.8x releases, and I am using XFree 4.1.0 on
an ATI 128 rage mobility on an A20p Thinkpad. It seems that
the problem must have to do with this graphics card, since other
people reporting choppier performance also had an ATI rage
mobility. And yes, switching back to the older 0.2.8x releases
gives smooth playback again. So, it is vlc, and not X, which
causes the problem.

I guess, that it is motion compensation which causes the problem.
Maybe, the vlc people can check what has been changed in
the motion compensation code. It seems that XFree 4.1.0 has
now its own motion compensation in xvideo mode (at least or
the ATI driver), could it be that there is an unfortunate interference
which makes things worse than better? I noticed that the worst
choppines occurs when the whole picture moves due to a
camera movement. So, in particular, sweeps over a landscape
are really choppy, while standing pictures with some movement
of, say, people inside is more or less ok.

I hope these observations and conjectures help a bit
Michael