Videolan Client - Interlaced Images during quick motion?

Maarten van maarten_l at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 15:23:21 CET 2001

Howdie,

First let me thank you for the Videolan DVD Player. It
works great on my Linux system.

Problem:
The only reason that I am still using Micorsuft
Windows is because the image of vlc in Linux seems to
be ,... uhuh... interlaced. This is NOT the case with
Micorsuft Widnows.

This might be one for the FAQ.

Info:
videolan : vlc-0.2.91-1.i386.rpm
graphics card : S3 Virge/4 MegaBytes/Really Old!
XFree86 : 4 (the one that came with Redhat 7.1)
xv-drivers : S3 Virge is supported by standard SVGA
driver, if I remember correctly.
distribution : RedHat 7.1 - no patches

Detailed Description:
During large movements (big parts, sudden) on the
screen, I see interlace problems (the even image lines
seem to be out of sync for about 0.1 seconds with the
odd image lines, after which the image restores
itself)

Is this due to:
1. crappy monitor, set to interlaced video mode
2. crappy S3 Virge PCI card
3. No XVideo extensions (not implemented on S3 Virge I
think)
4. No MTRR Records setup for direct access
5. DMA not enabled on IDE drive?
6. something else

I'd be more then happy to buy a 'good' graphics card
if I am sure it will get rid of those annoying
interlace/sync problems.

Some suggestions on which graphics cards support
Xvideo on Linux would be nice, though I assume I could
gather this information from another resource as well.

High regards,

=====
Karn (Ruler of Karchan, Keeper of the Key to the Room of Lost Souls)
Maarten van Leunen
("In the likely event of an accident, put your head between your knees and kiss your bum goodbye.")