DVD playing woes...Please help

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Thu Oct 4 16:41:44 CEST 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001, Bradley M Alexander wrote:

>  [storm at defiant lib]$ vlc
>  VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.83 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN
>
>  Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-deps.c: 495: _dl_map_object_deps:
>  Assertion `map->l_searchlist.r_list[0] == map' failed!

Ah, this is not a VLC error message. Where does it come from ? Remember
your user must have reading _and_ writing rights on your /dev/sr0.

> However, when I run it as root, it seems to want to work. I had to upgrade
> libdvdcss to 0.0.3, but when I fire up vlc, and click disc, if I change the
> device to either /dev/sr0 or /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd, I can hear
> the drive spin up. But when I click play, nothing happens. Unfortuantely, I
> have had no luck in selectively employing ide-scsi.
>
> Can anyone give me any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

You can have more verbose output with vlc -vvvvv. In this case, probably
VLC isn't allowed to connect to the X server, did you do an xhost + ?
--
Christophe Massiot.