problems: segfault, BadAlloc

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sat Oct 6 00:34:03 CEST 2001

  Here is a general listing of the problems I've seen.   Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

  a) If I use the binary vlc-0.2.83-1.rh7.i386.rpm from the download
website http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download.html I get the following:

[russell at agra dvd]# vlc
warning: extended instructions unsupported, some optimizations will be
disabled
upgrade to kernel 2.4.x to get rid of this warning
Segmentation fault
[russell at agra dvd]# uname -a
Linux agra.int.flora.ca 2.4.3-12 #1 Fri Jun 8 13:35:30 EDT 2001 i586
unknown

  If I run it with 'gdb vlc' I get:
Starting program: /usr/bin/vlc
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 21142)]

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
[Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 21142)]
0x804bdf3 in strcpy () at ../sysdeps/generic/strcpy.c:31
31	../sysdeps/generic/strcpy.c: No such file or directory.

  b) If I run a vlc that I compiled on my own machine (Without the
--enable-qt as I don't seem to have the right libraries on my system, but
otherwise the same as the .src.rpm) I get:

[russell at agra ~]# vlc dvd:/dev/dvd
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.83 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

Gdk-ERROR **: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

  I am able to play MPEG videos downloaded from the net without problem,
and am able to switch to full-screen and other such things.

The DVD's I've tested on are:

  - The Mummy Returns  - supposedly CSS-free
  - AntiTrust          - supposedly encoded in CSS

  I downloaded both the VLC client at http://www.videolan.org/ and the
OMSclient at http://www.linuxvideo.org/oms/ , and both had similar
problems.

  System is an AMD-K6 350 with 256M of ram, and a Matrox Millennium G200
AGP video card.  This is a RedHAt 7.x based system - upgraded from a 6.x a
little while ago.

  The problem is related to video somehow (Card or related drivers/etc) as
I can run "vlc --novideo" and hear the audio-track from both CD's.

---
 See http://weblog.flora.org/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 Oppose DMCA in Canada! (C) reform process....  IP Counter Essay Contest!
 It is time to mourn and reflect, not anger.... Appeal 'No more violence!'