Try with VideoLAN Client 0.2.90

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Fri Oct 12 17:26:34 CEST 2001

  I have been told that my CPU (AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor @ 350Mhz) speed is
at the root of my problems, but given the type of errors I am getting I am
not yet convinced.

  The errors seem to relate to video, and not CPU.  If I can get a new
Video card rather than a whole new MB and CPU, this would be cheaper.

  This is currently a Matrox Millennium G200. I am wondering what a more
ideal video card would be, outside of the more expensive cards with MPEG
decoding within the card.

  Someone more intimate with the code may be able to determine what the
problem is from the following errors:

with: qvlc dvd:/dev/dvd
I get:

X Error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) 11
  Major opcode:  144
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  144 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  77

With: gnome-vlc dvd:/dev/dvd   (and gvlc)

I get:
Gdk-ERROR **: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

---
 See http://weblog.flora.org/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 Oppose DMCA in Canada! (C) reform process....  IP Counter Essay Contest!
 It is time to mourn and reflect, not anger.... Appeal 'No more violence!'