Libdvdcss, more info

Hamish Marson hmarson at attglobal.net
Fri Oct 12 10:17:18 CEST 2001

Rens Houben wrote:

> In other news for Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 12:28:29PM -0700, Craig Orsinger has been seen typing:
> > On 2001.10.11 06:45:50 -0700 Rens Houben wrote:
> {snip}
>
> > > Yes, but does RPM know where it is?
>
> > > I'm a bit rusty, but try rpm -qf /usr/lib/libdvdcss.a
>
> >       When you do the "rpm -tb" or "rpm --rebuild",
> > just add "--nodeps" to the command line. Assuming, of
> > course, that you do actually have all the things rpm
> > is complaining about.
>
> Instructing your package manager to ignore dependencies defeats
> the entire purpose of using it in the first place. Use it right,
> or not at all.

That's bollocks for a start. Sometimes I prefer to use rpm's, because I can't be bothered
building the app myself. Sometimes I grab the sources & install it. When you install the sources
from a tar.gz file (Or whatever), RPM doesn't know about it. This is what breaks the
dependencies (which are NOT the entire reason for having RPM's BTW).

Now if RPM were a bit cleverer (At the expense of disk space or network connectivity
perhaps) then it could check to see if the packages that missing RPM's supposedly provided had
actually been installed some other way...

FWIW RPM is pretty brain dead & extreemly un-intuitive...

--

I don't suffer from Insanity...
        I enjoy every minute of it...