Try with VideoLAN Client 0.2.90

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sat Oct 13 03:12:11 CEST 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Christophe Massiot wrote:

> Try lowering your screen definition. What size and depth do you use ?

  This did the trick - while things are slow (as predicted with my
processor), I am able to view movies.

  Obvious suggestion is to trap this type of error and give the depth
suggestion as an error output to the user.

Now a question:

  Is there an easy way to detect if the software is decoding CSS or not,
and any relevant CSS information (region code/etc)?

  I believe VLC is decoding, but part of what I want to know is which CD's
are encoded, which are not.  Theoretically it is illegal under the DMCA
(and proposed changes to Canadian copyright law) to run unlicenced CSS
decoding - part of my interest in VLC on my Linux computer is to add more
information to a complaint before Canada's Industry Canada against the
DVD-CCA cartel.

---
 See http://weblog.flora.org/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 Oppose DMCA in Canada! (C) reform process....  IP Counter Essay Contest!
 It is time to mourn and reflect, not anger.... Appeal 'No more violence!'