Low volume

Berend De Schouwer bds at jhb.ucs.co.za
Mon Oct 15 11:30:13 CEST 2001

Hi,

Using vlc 0.2.90, any DVD I play has volume set to the minimum.  I need
to turn the volume of the sound system up to the maximum to hear
anything -- at first I thought sound was broken.

This happens when using /dev/dsp, on a SB PCI (ess1371), no esd, no
artsd.

It also happens in Xine.  It does not happen with other applications,
like xmms, or the Gnome or KDE sound effects.

Any ideas?  Any verbose output to look for?

'coz they always ask: 800MHz Athlon, Debian Unstable, Linux kernel 2.4.9
(no alsa), XFree86 4.1.0, Matrox G400.

--
Berend De Schouwer