Stil nothing playing...

Steven Anker steven at frog.nl
Wed Oct 24 08:23:45 CEST 2001

Hi,

One tip to prevent having to change the device to /dev/cdrom all the time
is to make a symbolic link to the device. There are more programs that
depend on /dev/dvd, so it can be usefull. In case you don't know how to
make a symbolic link: ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd. In many cases /dev/cdrom
is also a symbolic link. It would then be more apropiate to make the link
point to that device (one my computer it is /dev/hdc).

On 2001.10.24 01:05 Michael Willems wrote:
> John,
>
> No blue screen, no DVD drive sound. (When I manually ask for device
> /dev/cdrom, I do get sound, but -vvvvv then just shows read errors).

What kind of read errors do you get? Have you tried to mount a dvd (for
example Ghost in the Shell)? You can check this way if you can read the
dvd at all. Try to copy a file from the dvd to you harddisk. If this
already fails then it is not vlc that is not working.

[snip]
> Subject: Re: Stil nothing playing...
>

> Question:
>
> When you attempt to play a dvd, do you get a blue screen and sound like
> the dvd is playing?
>
> If that is the case, then the problem is that the default dvd player is
> /dev/dvd. If you start vlc and change the default to /dev/cdrom THEN play
> the dvd, it will work. This happens to me all the time. What bugs me,
> however, is the fact that I save this setting in the preferences, but
> each
> time i start vlc, the default is still /dev/dvd.
>
> Best of luck
>
> John Marr

  Steven Anker

e-mail: steven at frog.nl