jerkiness with RH7.2/vlc0.2.90

Jeremy Bailin jbailin at as.arizona.edu
Thu Oct 25 18:40:00 CEST 2001

I was happily running vlc 0.2.82 under Red Hat 7.1 (the patched RH
2.4.3-something kernel) with XFree 4.0.3 on my Dell Inspiron 4000 (ATI
Rage Mobility 128) Celeron 700 w/ 256 MB RAM.

I made the mistake of updating a few things at once, so I don't know what
the culprit was, but: vlc is now very choppy where before it was very
smooth.

I upgraded to vlc 0.2.90 and to Red Hat 7.2 (with its patched 2.4.7
kernel), which included XFree 4.1.0.

It's still using XVideo, like it was before. I've always been using the
standard XFree drivers.

Before I start taking my system apart bit by bit, does anyone have any
suggestions which component is most likely at fault? If I had to place a
bet, I'd say it's XFree... but downgrading to 4.0.3 doesn't seem like the
most sensible option.

--
Jeremy Bailin            /
jbailin at as.arizona.edu  |  "I guide my own life,