First contact with vlc/vls

Marcelo Abbade abbade at cpqd.com.br
Thu Oct 25 19:31:47 CEST 2001

  Could anyone around help me?

  I have just installed vlc and vls in a small LAN. vls is installed in hostA and vlc is installed in both, host A and hostB. I want to make a video stream from hostA to hostB, but I just can´t.

  What I do is the follwing:

-  I connect to hostA through ´telnet hostA 9999'. The connection
is accepted and I can browse the mpeg files.
-  I try ´start movie.mpeg channel1 input1´and receive a message that the movie is started.
-  I thought that this could open the mpeg movie but as I get no answer I start vlc on hostB. But again, I get no answer.
- What am I doing wrong?

 I use the following parameters on Network Stream:

********Server*****************
-- Adress: 10.10.1.1 (hostA- vls)
-- Port: 1234
-- Broadcast (10.10.255.255)
********Channels*****************
-- Adress: 10.10.1.1 (hostA- vls)
-- Port: 4321
********Protocol*****************
-- TS

The message I get is:
.
.
.
module: locking module ´ts´.
input: server=10.10.1.1 port=1234 broadcast= 10.10.255.255
input warning: socket received buffer size just Ox1fffe instead of Ox80000 bytes.
input error:  can´t bind socket (Cannot assign requested address).
module: unlocking module ´ts´.

  Thanks for you attention,

           Marcelo

- Additional Information
We are using kde on Red Hat Linux 7.1.
Our LAN, which is intended to run video streaming over MPLS in a (I hope) near future, is like this:

Network 10.10:

    (vlc)                                                    (vls+vlc)
   HostB        mpls4              mpls1       HostA
     (5.2)      (5.1)  (4.2)     (2.1) (1.2)    (1.1)