vlc slight sound problems

Terrence Oblak toblak at cableone.net
Sat Oct 27 21:37:49 CEST 2001

First of all I would like to thank the people responsible for VLC.  Its a
great program.

I'm running Mandrake 8.0 PPC on an Apple tiBook.  Right now I have Linux on 7
gigs of the drive and Mac OS 9.1 on 3 gigs.  The only reason I'm keeping the
the Mac OS is to play dvds.  I'm hoping to get vlc working so I can get rid
of the Mac OS and have all 10 gigs available for linux.

This is my setup:
	I'm running Mandrake PPC 8.0 on an Apple tiPB G4 400 w/ 387 M of RAM
	I installed the 0.2.80 rpm for Mandrake 8.0 PPC
	I'm running KDE as my window manager
	I'm using the GTK+ interface on vlc
	I'm running vlc with the following params -V sdl -A esd
		xvideo kills the program
		X11 made the video kind of choppy
		Using dsp made the sound very, very choppy

The video is good.  It sometimes gets a little choppy, but very smooth for
the most part.  The sound is working as well, but ... it's about 1/2 a second
behind the video.

I know I've seen this behavior posted before, however, I'm unable to find it
in any of emails on my computer.

Anybody have any ideas?

I used the older rpm because I'm a linux newbie and I'm not confident in my
abilities to compile the source code myself.

TIA

Terrence Oblak
toblak at cableone.net