vlc playing dvd problems on debian

James Leigh james.leigh at ottawa.com
Sun Oct 28 19:48:06 CET 2001

I bough a DVD player x16, but I cannot get it to work properly.
 It plays jumpy audio and blank video.  I put in a cd, with an mpeg
video on it, in the DVD and used vlc to play, once mounted.  It work
fine, but
vlc cannot play DVDs.  I am trying this with a rented Romeo Must Die,
because I read it does not use css and is region free.

I am using devfs, so my DVD player is /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 ->
../ide/host2/bus0/target1/lun0/cd
I also craeted a link /dev/dvd -> ../ide/host2/bus0/target1/lun0/cd to
work with.
 I use a debian sid distro, that is kept up-to-date.  My motherboard is
ASUS A7V133 with an 1.2 Athlon.  I have a voodoo3 card, and aviplay can
use the xvideo plugin to watch movies with no problems.  vlc can also
use the xvideo extention for playing mepgs from a file.  I don't know
much about DVDs so if any of you have a DVD player under linux, let me
know your setup.
 I have tried vlc with x11/sdl/xvideo and all do the same thing, when
trying to play from disc, it loads all the modules and then unloads them
all as if it gave up.  I have tried mounting the DVD and then openning a
file in vlc, that is kinda better, I get jumpy audio and no video, same
for all video plugins.  I also tried xine, it could not play from dvd
device, but the files worked just as well as vlc.  I did install
libdvdcss0.0.3 for encrypted DVDs, but I don't think this one is
encrypted.
  I am using "Romeo Must Die" listed on
http://www.videolan.org/freedvd.html as free of css and region free.  I
am renting it so time is a factor.  If I play the first track in vlc, I
get skippy sound and near the end I get the menu image.  xine can play
with the same bad sound, but also try to display the video, scrabled
video with some pictures that can be made out, faces or small pictures.

Here are some output from the processes.

vlc -vvvvvvvvvvv dvd:///dev/ide/host2/bus0/target1/lun0/cd  # I closed
it after it unloaded everything
http://www.leighnet.ca/tmp/vlc.dvd
mount /dvdrom; vlc -vvvvvvvv file:///dvdrom/video_ts/vts_01_1.vob # I
let it play for about 12sec
http://www.leighnet.ca/tmp/vlc.file
strace -eopen vlc -vvvvvvvvvvv dvd:///dev/ide/host2/bus0/target1/lun0/cd
http://www.leighnet.ca/tmp/vlc.dvd.eopen
strace vlc -vvvvvvvvvvv dvd:///dev/ide/host2/bus0/target1/lun0/cd
http://www.leighnet.ca/tmp/vlc.dvd.strace

Here id my dmesg
http://www.leighnet.ca/tmp/dmesg

my kernel config
http://www.leighnet.ca/tmp/config

the debian packages I have installed: dpkg -l "*vlc*" "*dvd*"
Desired
| Status
|/ Err?
||/ Name                      Version
+++-=========================-=========================
ii  vlc                       0.2.90-3
ii  vlc-esd                   0.2.90-3
ii  vlc-gnome                 0.2.90-3
un  vlc-gui                   <none>
ii  vlc-sdl                   0.2.90-3
un  libdvdcss0.0.2            <none>
ii  libdvdcss0.0.3            0.2.90-1
ii  libdvdread1               0.8.0-3
ii  libdvdread2               0.9.1-3
pn  xine-dvd                  <none>
un  xine-dvd-css              <none>
ii  xine-dvdnav               0.9.2.beta-1

I am using a custom 2.4.9 kernel including:
#
# Processor type and features
#
CONFIG_MK7=y