fullscreen scaling screwed up

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Oct 31 00:28:54 CET 2001

Hi,
just installed vlc-0.2.90 on SuSE 7.3 running kernel 2.4.10 and
XFree 4.1.0. The compile went through without any problems.
Now I noted the following few strange behaviours, which were not
present in the earlier release 0.2.83 as far as I know:
1) XVideo fullscreen mode cuts away the very left and very right part
   of some movies.
2) SDL fullscreen gets the aspect ratio completely wrong with these
   movies, which get cut under XVideo. In SDL, the Xserver tries to
   switch to a fitting lower resolution, but I end up with only a
   quite narrow strip which has almost the full width of the screen,
   but only a small fraction of it height. The whole image is squeezed
   into this strip.
3) It seems to me that on one hand CPU load is less than in the 0.2.83
   release, but the image is a little bit jerkier, unfortunately. It
   definitely runs smoother with the 0.2.83 version - why?
Otherwise, vlc is getting better and better,
it is my favourite DVD player under Linux.

Michael