slight zzz sound when playing dvd

Damian Ivereigh damian at cisco.com
Tue Sep 4 15:14:59 CEST 2001

On Tue, 2001-09-04 at 13:16, Shane Harper wrote:
> Damian Ivereigh wrote:
> >
> > I get that too. I think it is something to do with the numbers being
> > send to the sound system being too large. For example if using 16 bit,
> > the number going above 32768 and becoming negative.
> >
> > As for a solution I don't know. Let me know if you find one.
>
> You could try changing the value of VOLUME_DEFAULT which is defined in
> include/config.h to a lower value (perhaps 256 instead of 512).

Unfortunately that didn't make any difference (except making the initial
volume lower :-)). Probably my analysis of the situation is wrong. It is
definately something about that ac3 decoder, since I found a DVD with
both mpeg and ac3 and switching to the mpeg audio stream removed the
problem.

Wish I understood these formats better.

Damian

--