Sound troubles

Giles Burdett layabouts at the-giant-sofa.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 04:56:22 CEST 2001

Hi Philip,

On 21-Sep-01, you wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm having troubles with the (dsp) sound from vlc.
> It sounds very sharp and bright and no dynamics at all (loud passages are
> played softer, way to soft).
> Using esd it sounds even worse, lots of skipping.
>
> However, if I play some mp3's with xmms it sounds fine.
>
> I tried version 0.2.83 (compiled from source) and the 20010920 cvs
> snapshot, which makes no difference.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I have been running 0.2.82 and since yesterday 0.2.83 and have found that I
also have problems with sound, both in terms of synchronisation (the images
lag behind the sound), and also in the "shrillness" of certain sounds, which
distorts certain higher pitched instruments to the point where they sound
sound strained and forced. I'm using alsa 0.5 drivers to drive my
motherboard's onboard pci sound chip. My system has a 266Mhz bus and DDR RAM,
so I can't see raw horsepower being the problem here.

Do others experience distortions and mis-sync'ed sound at all?

Regards,

Giles

--

             \ | | | /

| Giles Burdett                         |
| http://www.the-giant-sofa.demon.co.uk |
          .ooo0    (    )
            \_/