vlc 0.3.0

David Legg David.Legg at legg.uklinux.net
Sat Apr 13 22:13:56 CEST 2002

I'm seriously impressed with the new vlc client; it runs smoothly on my
Pentium II 400MHz lap-top (Dell Inspiron 7500) under Linux with a 2.4.17
kernel and ESS Maestro sound card.

I start it with:

vlc dvd:/dev/hdc --aout esd -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

so as to use the esd sound module, because OSS is rather distorted.

The esd sound works fine except that after 10 or 20 seconds a clicking
sound, perhaps once or twice a second appears, all the time thereafter.
It spoils what is otherwise virtually perfect.

The only messages that seem to pop out, apart from the occasional
dropped frame message, are these:

vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[3] to P[1]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[1] to P[3]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[3] to P[1]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[1] to P[3]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[3] to P[2]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[2] to P[3]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[3] to P[2]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[2] to P[3]
vpar info: stream periodicity changed from P[3] to P[2]

But, even they don't seem to happen at quite the same times as the
clicks. This happens with all of my DVDs.

Grateful for any ideas you may have, and I hope my feed-back is helpful
to you guys, because I think you are doing a great job!

Regards,
David Legg