Question about playing "remote" DVD

Loïc Minier lool at via.ecp.fr
Fri Apr 19 10:08:35 CEST 2002

Alejo Escobar <aEscobarJardines at netscape.net> - Wed, Apr 17, 2002:
> I use WINDOWS 2000 on my Desktop, the PC doesn't have DVD-drive. But I
> have a SUN E450 (Solaris 7) which has DVD-drive. So i want to know if
> it's possible to watch DVD movies from the SUN in my PC.

 vlc has to send specific drive commands that a smn share can't bridge.
So this isn't possible in all cases. You have alternatives : mounting
the drive may show *.vob files (but you may have problems with the
encrypted discs) which you should be able to play with vlc (through the
share if you want). The other recommended alternative is to use the vls
to stream the DVD over UDP and the vlc to playback client-side.

 Best luck.

--
Loïc Minier <lool at via.ecp.fr>