no configuration file after upgrade to 0.3.1

John Mellor John at Kungfu-tse.net
Tue Apr 30 10:26:12 CEST 2002

After many struggles with various DVD players, including earlier versions
of Vlc I installed 0.3.1-1mdk.i686.rpm, together with gtk and alsa plugins
and libdvdcss2.   I have not got the alsa working as it needs
libasound.so.2, which I think must be in alsa 0.9 (Ihave 0.5 and
libasound.so.1). I tried a symlink to so.1 but it did not like that.   Do
I need 0.9?  Will that solve it?  I had terrible problems with
unsynchronised sound in 0.9.2 with one particular disc and using alsa
improved it considerably.  I hoped 0.3.1 would finally get the words in
line with the lips, and also improve a certain amount of jerkiness in the
video.   I like Vlc - simple, clean interface, press the button and the
film runs - so would like to make it work well.

In the meantime sound works OK with esd but no video.   Error message says
it cannot find the vlcrc file in my home folder and does not know the
depth of the display, and sure enough the file does not exist.   I
completely reinstalled but no change.  Anyone know what has happened?  I
uninstalled the previous version - 0.9.2 - before installing this one.
There is no videolan file or folder of any kind in my home folder, hidden
or otherwise.