Long pauses / skipping while watching DVDs

James Green jg at jmkg.clara.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 00:16:13 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I'm using the latest debs from the VLC project on Debian Sid. For some
time now almost at random (thought I think likely to be when changing
chapters) playback will suddenly freeze.

The DVD drive light remains on. The picture is frozen, no sound. VLC is
unresponsive. Around 15 - 30 seconds later, my machine's IDE drive
lights up, then I get sound at very fast rate, then a few seconds later
the picture returns as though it's skipped around 30-40 seconds of film.

This appears to happen quite a lot on DVDs I've rented from the local
library, but in recent VLC upgrades it has happened on brand new DVDs
too (Lord of the Rings, Saving Private Ryan).

The problem makes viewing the film unacceptable. I have not been
successful in getting either xine or mplayer to play DVDs yet, nor have
I attempted to play the discs from Windows yet to rule out hardware
issues.

Can anyone provide some pointers, or "me too"s? I have an Athlon 2000XP
system, 768MB ram, 16x EIDE DVD device, Linux 2.4.17.

Thanks
James Green