No suitable access plug-in for input, dvd, SOLVED

farmer dude farmerduderl at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 08:32:21 CEST 2002

Well, to reply to myself (and hopefully help someone
else) . . .

solved.

I had set vlc to use /mnt/cdrom as the DVD input.
That never got me anything other than the error
message I reported in my first post.  I couldn't
understand WHY I would receive that error when earlier
in the loggin VLC found the freaking module! lol

I then configured VLC to access the raw device;

/dev/scd0

and bingo, case solved.  Funny thing is if I just run
'vlc' it freezes the vlc gnome gui.  I have to hard
kill the bugger.   But if I specifiy 'vlc
dvd:/dev/scd0' then I'm golden, it works, and seems to
be okay.

I have tested it but briefly, but so far seems good.
Much like ogle in design, but this stop button
actually works for me!   The only thing I've noticed
so far is audio skips for a few seconds when changing
chapters manually.

Okay, so moral of story is if you've an internal
CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive on a laptop perhaps set your
config to /dev/scd0 and that'll work for you too!

farmerdude