[vlc] Re: Ogg Media File and OGM files

Huey huey at noos.fr
Mon Dec 2 11:24:13 CET 2002

Michael Holmlund a écrit :

> I am trying to find a player that for Mac OSX that plays Ogg media
> files.  I didn't find anything about it on the website, so I am guessing
> that VideoLan Client doesn't support it, but if it doesn't I would like to
> recommend that it be added to the todo list.

Hi everyone,
I would like to thank the persons who wrote this software, first.
It allows  my roommate and I to share our videos despite the fact that he runs
a Macintosh and I run a PC.

This is true that OGG Vorbis is the most sectacular audio compression format
I've seen since the mp3 was born.
This is meant to be cross-platform, open source code solution.
Furthermore, a guy named Tobias Waldvogel wrote some great Direct Show filters
(modules that is intended to allow a windows DirectX compatible application to
read a given file format), that allow to embed any stream of audio, subtitle,
chapter info (in fact anything but mpeg1 and 2) to an .avi file.
The result is an .ogm (OGG media file).

Maybe there is something to do for VLC with the help of Tobias :
http://tobias.everwicked.com/

I do think, along with many , that .ogm files fits perfectly with the concept
of "cross-platform solution" that is the great VLC.

Thanks for reading, and again , thanks for the great job.

Huey