[vlc] Bitrate...

Alexis Guerin alexis.guerin at isep.fr
Wed Dec 4 16:47:12 CET 2002

Hello,

Here is a quite theoretical question about the meaning of the word bitrate for
an mpeg2 file.
Let's have a look at this example:
The THX_Simpsons.vob trailer is a 35Mo file played by vlc in 43s, wich i guess
means that the bitrate of this file is about 35*10^6*8/43 = 6.5 Mbits/s.

But when I stream this file on a 10/100 Mb/s ethernet network, using vls on
the server machine and vlc on the client machine, i can see that vlc is
receiving much more than 6.5 Mbits/s.
When using

" time tcpdump -i eth0 -c 10000 dst port 1234"

I can see vlc receiving 10000 UDP packets in 10.4s. Hence, as each udp packet
contains 7 TS packets of 188 bytes (according to what i understood of the
vlc/vls doc), vlc is receiving a 7*188*8*10000/10.9 = 10.01Mbits/s stream.

Where does this gap come from?
does vls send the data as fast as possible and let the responsibility to
reduce the bitrate to a buffer in vls?

As I am not very familiar with the mpeg standards and with the functioning of
the OS's network interface, i may miss something and i would apreciate any
explanation on this issue.

However, vls and vlc are working very well on my machines and I'd like to
thank the videolan team for their work.

regards,

Alexis