[vlc] Re: RPM Install

Yves Duret yves at zarb.org
Sun Dec 15 12:59:31 CET 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 04:30:07PM -0500, Jason Kumpf wrote:
> the past, but I get dependency errors.  Here is what I am doing and the
> output I get:
>
> rpm -ivh vlc-0.4.6-1.i586.rpm
>
> Output:
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         vlc-gui is needed by vlc-0.4.6-1
>         vlc-mad is needed by vlc-0.4.6-1

use a tool that handles dependencies for you such as urpmi or apt-get.

> Now I try to install the vlc-mad module and it depends on the
> vlc-0.4.xxx.rpm.  Plus I don't see the vlc-gui.xxxx.rpm module on your

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download.html
the vlc-gui is a virtual package. vlc-gnome, vlc-gtk for example
provides vlc-gui.

> site.  I'm a little confused and haven't had suceess with the source
> install either, which is another story.  I've read through all the
> INSTALL's and README's and your online docs and haven't been able to find
> anything that might help.  I'd love to continue to use this great
> software.  Thanks,

as i already said:
you should really use a tool that handles dependencies for you such as
urpmi or apt-get.

Or if really you want to do it by hand, all the needed rpm are avalaible
on MandrakeLinux (9.0 or cooker) in main or contribs. check your usual
mirror.
Or look in google or rpmfind.net:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=liba52.so+rpm&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=liba52.so&submit=Search+...

by the way, i will try to make the rpm for 0.5 more redhat friendly.
--
Yves Duret
yves at zarb.org
piouk toujours et meme apres !