[vlc] Help required!

Vamsi Mohan Harish reacharish at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 18:56:46 CET 2002

Hello,

I have successfully installed VideoLAN server and client on my linux system (7.3 Version). I am able to play a local file using VLC using 'local file' option in the vls.cfg file, without any problem.

And my requirement is to test video streaming on LAN using both unicasting as well as multicasting. So initially I want to test it on a local system.

But when I am trying to play the same file using the VideoLAN server using 'local host' option in the vls.cfg file, I am not getting any display. I have tried lot of options in the preferences of the client software, but everything went in vein.

I have one more question. Can I use a normal switch (Compex PS2208B) for testing it over LAN.

 If any one can help me in solving my problem, I will be very much thankful to them.

My vls.cfg file

# vls configuration file (Example)

BEGIN "Vls"

LogFile = "vls.log" # log file

ScreenLog = "enable" # log to the console

SystemLog = "disable" # log to the systemlog

END

BEGIN "Groups"

monitor = "help|browse|logout"

master = "help|browse|start|resume|suspend|stop|shutdown|logout|config|program|input|channel|show"

END

BEGIN "Users"

monitor = "3BcKWoiQn0vi6:monitor" # password is 'monitor'

bozo = "JKg2TpPerilnw:master" # password is 'bozo'

END

BEGIN "Telnet"

# Domain = "Inet6" # Inet4 or Inet6

LocalPort = "9999" # Port to use for that purpose

END

BEGIN "Inputs"

local1 = "local" # Local input example

END

BEGIN "local1"

ConfigPath = "/usr/local/lib/videolan/vls"

END

BEGIN "Channels"

localhost = "network"

client1 = "network"

multicast = "network"

localfile = "file"

END

BEGIN "localhost" # The client is on the same host as the server

Domain = "Inet4"

Type = "unicast"

DstHost = "127.0.0.1"

DstPort = "1234"

END

BEGIN "client1" # unicast example

Domain = "Inet4"

Type = "unicast"

DstHost = "192.168.0.2" # destination host

DstPort = "1234" # destination port

END

BEGIN "multicast" # multicast example

Type = "multicast"

TTL = "1" # Time To Live

DstHost = "239.2.12.42" # multicast address

DstPort = "1234" # destination port

END

BEGIN "localfile" # file output example

FileName = "/home/vamsi/stream.ts"

Append = "no" # rewrite the file if it exists

END

My input.cfg file

BEGIN "Input"

FilesPath = "/home/vamsi/streams"