[vlc] problems with vlc 0.4.6 on older g4-mac

Kapitaen kapitaen at haifischbar.com
Sat Dec 28 16:54:35 CET 2002

Dear sirs,
at first i want to beg your pardon for my long email and for my bad english.
But unfortunately i have some problems with vlc client 0.4.6 on my
old g4 macintosh. It plays only videos (vcd and svcd show the same
effects) with small resolutions, for example 320 x 200 pixels. When
the resolution will grow, then it soon will reach a point where the
picture will begin to freeze from beginning with the fraction of a
second, up to twenty or more seconds. Then the picture will play
again for some seconds or minutes, and freeze again. And the sound
will vary in pitch. In conjunction with the picture freezings the
sound will play higher in pitch, like mickey mouse.

It makes no difference if i play vcd, svcd, either from burned cd or
from image file from hard disk.

I have seen vlc 046 on several other macintoshs where it does play
without any problems (so i must think that the source of the problem
is somewhere in my mac)

My Macintosh is one of the first sawtooth boards delivered by apple.
It is on eof those with the 50mhz-penalty due to processor errors.
The machine label says 400mhz, and by the 50 mhz penalty is is realy
only 350 mhz. Are there any known problems between vlc 046 and these
machines? Have i to wait until i can afford a newer macintosh or do
you have some hints for me how i can solve the problem?

Some more information about my mac:
400 / 350 mhz g4 sawtooth board,
1,5 gb ram
hard disk 2 x 120gb, 1 x 360 gb array (and really fast)
os x 10.2.3, freshly installed (that will say, system partition
formatted and complete new install). Older os x versions have shown
the same problem.
sound card
scsi card
disk array controller

All system checks show no faults or errors. Ram, Rom, I/O, Disk, all
works perfect.

Performance benchmarks show in comparison to a new 800 mhz mac that
my mac will give me between 45 % and 55 % of the power of the new 800
mhz mac. This is a performance range i had expected by the difference
in mhz. The only unexpected slowdown is the altivec performance. The
altivec shows only 25% of the power of a 800 mhz mac.

Might the funny and slow altivec unit be the problem? Maybe that vlc
says "Great, G4 with altivec, let them do the work" and then the
altivec says "hehehe, you dont get the performance you want..." ?

If you need more information (complete system profiler information,
or benchmark results), please contact me by email. Then i will send
it as attachment. My address is kapitaen at haifischbar.com

I would be glad to hear again from you.

Sincerely
Christian Stueben

--
Bedenke immer, die Welt ist eine flache Scheibe.
kapitaen at haifischbar.com