vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libXv.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Wed Feb 13 15:27:51 CET 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002, bk wrote:

>  I can't get your program to work. I've attached screen shots to show
> you I have the required libs installed but vlc is complaining it can't
> find them..
>
> Here's the error:
>
> "vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libXv.so.1: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory"

   Upstream XFree86 only wants libXv to be distributed as libXv.a
because they do not have a stable API for it yet, so libXv.so.1 isn't
supposed to exist, except maybe on retarded distributions such as
RedHat.

   Are you compiling vlc yourself? If so, what you should do is remove
libXv.so.1 and libXv.so from your system so that libXv.a is used at
compilation time instead.

Regards,
--
Sam.