audio distortion with CM8738 chip

Dan Hopper ku4nf at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 07:42:24 CET 2002

Hi,

I just recently upgraded to a Soyo Dragon+ motherboard with
integrated CM8738 sound chip, and compiled the latest vlc (0.2.92).
Regardless of which audio driver I use (default or esd), the audio
sounds garbled (kind of warbly) and out of sync with the video.
Sounds the same even if the video output is disabled.

Any tips?  I could try pulling my old SBLive card out of the drawer,
but I'd rather make a go at getting this thing to work.  xmms and
some other sound apps seem OK on it.  Should I try ALSA, perhaps?

Thanks,
Dan