vlc-cvs video output jerky

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Wed Jan 9 18:27:54 CET 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> 	vlc -V sdl mpegfile
>
> 	works much better than the default (Xvideo).

   And does the video output window say "hardware YUV"?

> 	Using '-V x11' gives an error though:
>
> vout error: never heard of chroma 0x00000003 (   b)

   Ah, that's because I didn't port all the YUV conversion routines,
you'd need to be in 16bpp. But forget this idea since -V sdl worked.

> 	Ok, recompiling with MAX_DIRECTBUFFERS set to 1 and running "vlc -v":
>
> 	While I do see infrequent "late picture" messages the playback with
> 	MAX_DIRECTBUFFERS = 1 is smooth (as it is with the 0.2.92 release
> 	version).

   Fine. The "late picture" messages mean it dropped a few pictures here
and there, but nothing noticeable.

> >     - in plugins/x11/xcommon.c, function InitDisplay(), force b_shm to
> >     be set to 0.
>
> 	I will defer this test since changing MAX_DIRECTBUFFERS changed the
> 	video output behaviour.

   While setting MAX_DIRECTBUFFERS to 1 improved the quality, you lost
lots of performances, so it'd be interesting to see what is wrong with
more direct buffers allocated, and I thought our Shm code could have
been an issue.

--
Sam.