Xlib: extension "XVideo" missing on display ":0.0".

Michael S.Zick mszick at pflash.com
Wed Jan 23 20:14:53 CET 2002

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 11:35 am, Ade Talabi wrote:
>  Xlib:  extension "XVideo" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> I have an ati 48X dvd, linux 7.1, and XFree86 versino 4.0.

XFree86 version number 4.0.what?
XVideo was added at 4.0.2 (I think that is correct anyway).
I am running 4.0.3 and which does have it.  To tell for sure, check:
"/var/log/XFree86.0.log"  (your location may vary).
Begining nearly 200 lines into the log you should find:

(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libextmod.a
(II) Module extmod: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
	Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
	ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
(II) Loading extension SHAPE
(II) Loading extension MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
(II) Loading extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Loading extension SYNC
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XC-MISC
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-Misc
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension FontCache
(II) Loading extension TOG-CUP
(II) Loading extension Extended-Visual-Information
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) LoadModule: "v4l"

If the extension "XVideo" isn't shown in your log, you don't have it (or have
it loaded).

Mike

PS: In reference to an earlier posting of mine on this list - XVideo does
display both windowed and full screen on my system now - still using 4.0.3
BUT with nVidia's card drivers, only needed to replace the XFree86 NV driver
of 4.0.3
PPS: Reportedly the NV driver that comes with XFree86 4.1.0 also works, but I
haven't tried it - I stopped changing things as soon as my system worked.