Vlc for Windows NT

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Jan 26 22:21:28 CET 2002

On Friday 25 January 2002 10:32, Richelle, Hans wrote:
> Dear reader,
>
> We enjoy the use of your Release vlc 0.2.92 very much.
> We run the software on Windows 95 and Windows2000 operating systems.
> However, we have some other PC's that we would like to use your software
> for.
> These run under Windows NT however.
> Can you please tell me if you know of a version that runs under NT?

Well, our native video output plugin (the directx plugin) only supports
directx5 and onwards but NT4 does only support directx3 (I think it was
shipped with service pack 3) so this is where the problem lies.
However all is not lost for you because we also have an SDL plugin. By
default SDL also uses Directx5 but you can also force it to use the Windows
DIB functions.

All you should have to do is:
- open a dos command box in your vlc directory.
- type "set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib"
- then run vlc: "vlc -V sdl  nameofyourfile"

Hopefully it will work but as it won't use YUV overlay hardware acceleration,
the performance may not be that great.

Cheers,

--
Gildas