[a52-dev] liba52 support

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Mon Jul 8 23:40:25 CEST 2002

At 8:03 -0500 8/07/2002, raker wrote :

>   My name is Nick Hadaway.  I am a developer for Gentoo Linux.  I am
>currently working on the latest build for vlc (0.4.1) and I was
>wondering if --enable-liba52 is safe, stable, or even used at all in the
>actual code.

It is safe to compile with --enable-liba52, since liba52 will only be
used if the user requests it explicitly. Otherwise the old built-in
ac3 decoder will be used.

>On the liba52 page (http://liba52.sourceforge.net) there are comments
>saying that VideoLAN does NOT use liba52 but it is still a cool project...

We do not use liba52 by default because liba52 isn't currently
thread-safe. It can cause (rare) problems with VLC.

>PS - if one of the vlc people could make a comment on libmad as well...
>that'd be cool... it's disabled by default and i'm wondering if it's a
>good idea to enable that option as well...

It's a damn good idea if you want to read divx's. The built-in MPEG
audio decoder won't decode MPEG-I layer III ES's.

--
Christophe Massiot.