playing encrypted dvd on standalone ibm a30 thinkpad

Xavier MAILLARD zedek at fxgsproject.org
Sun Jul 14 09:05:24 CEST 2002

"gene french" <gene at genefrench.com> disait récemment que :

> i have an ibm a30 thinkpad running redhat 7.2
> it is equipped with a dvd/cdrom(readonly) combo...
> upon bootup the linux identifies the device correctly as hdc
> i have had absolutely no luck getting this device to play an encrypted dvd
> does your software support my equipment and will it play and encryped dvd
> here in the united states
> thanks
> gene french

VLC is at no time responsible of the hardware side. This is not its
job. I guess your DVD player is a normal one so no problem.

To play encrypted DVD, you need to get/compile/install libdvdcss that is
located here
http://videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdcss/1.2.1/libdvdcss-1.2.1.tar.gz.

Then you need to compile your libdvdread again and then you need to tell
vlc to deal with encrypted dvd.

Here you can see my own typical configure call:

CC="gcc-3.1" ./configure --enable-dvd --enable-dvdread \
--with-dvdcss=/home/zedek/usr/lib \
--with-dvdcss-tree=/home/zedek/usr/src/libdvdcss_dev  --disable-qt \
--enable-vorbis  --enable-x11 --enable-xosd --enable-xvideo \
--enable-xinerama  --enable-a52 --enable-avi --enable-debug \
--enable-mozilla  --enable-pth --enable-mad --disable-kde \
--disable-intfwin  --enable-gtk --enable-gnome --enable-ffmpeg \
--with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/zedek/usr/src/ffmpeg_unstable/ \
--prefix=/home/zedek/usr  --with-tuning="pentiumpro -fforce-addr \
-fomit-frame-pointer  -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop \
-frerun-loop-opt  -falign-loops=4"

Cheers,

zeDek