vlc 0.4.1 error: "DTS audio not handled yet"

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Jul 14 12:37:52 CEST 2002

On Sunday 14 July 2002 08:21, Xavier MAILLARD wrote:
> See Below To Reply <fake_address at aol.com> disait récemment que :
>
> > i just compiled vlc 0.4.1 without any errors. when i start
> > up the client it works fine, but when i try to open a DVD
> > (File->Open Disc...) i get the following error message:
> >
> > dvd warning: DTS audio not handled yet(0x88bd)
>
> That means that decoding DTS sound is not implemented. I have suggested
> to the dev team to develop it but this is not an important thing for
> now.
> DTS DVD often comes with DolbyDigital 5.1 stream so use it for instance
> and check for the DTS decoding in a near/far future :)

Well, I would rather say really far future as there are currently _zero_
specs available on the DTS format. That means it would have to be reverse
engineered from scratch, and even though this format as been available for
quite some time, nobody has yet dared to work on this...

One solution though would be to make a bypass plugin for DTS audio so it
could be possible to plug an external DTS decoder to the SPDIF output of
your soundcard. This is already available for AC3 audio in VLC but would
require some work to support DTS.

--
Gildas