final quicktime 6 issue

Daniel Schneider d.r.schneider at gmx.ch
Wed Jul 17 20:47:12 CEST 2002

>Well, the problem with QuickTime 6 persists.
>Apple didn't fix it.

So is it really a bug??? Maybe Apple simply changed something in QT 6
"API", like they changed a lot from Mac OS 10.0.x to 10.1.

>And although they promised it there is no MPEG2 support

This is not true. You have to buy the QT 6 MPEG-2 Playback/Decoder
Component separately for $19.99 (it's not included in QT 6 Pro).
Description in the Apple Store:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/223/wo/nVJiH0EdWfQ57kZAIf/3.3.0.3.34.8.3.7.13.0

There are separate versions for OS X and OS 9. The english version of
the MPEG-2 Decoder for Mac OS 9 only works with english QT 6.

The QT 6 MPEG-2 Decoder only supports program streams, transport
streams cannot be played back or transcoded. So this is a major
drawback against VLC.

Yes, transcoding to other Quicktime formats like MPEG-4 or DV should
be possible with this component, that sounds very interesting.

I will get a key for this component from apple so I'll post the
results of my tests (performance, compatibility with different
streams, performance with 1920x1080 HDTV MPEG-2) soon.

Greetings Dany