Problem installing DVB driver under SuSE Linux 8.0

Richard Folwell richard at folwell.com
Sun Jul 21 14:18:05 CEST 2002

DVB driver appears to build OK - a few warnings but no errors.  The
failure occurs in "make insmod", with a large number of unresolved
symbols.  Console output below.  Do I need to uninstall the modules that
already exist prior to running this?  Or is the problem that the kernel
sources do not match the kernel I am running?

I have not rebuilt the kernel after installing.  I did have to change
the kernel from that which the SuSE installation thought I should use -
it chose a very large memory multi-processor kernel that caused other
problems.  How do I ensure that the sources and kernel in use actually
match?

I do not understand the implications of, "Note that the configuration of
the driver sources also has to match that of the kernel you are
running", in the DVB driver installation instructions.

TIA,

Richard

quiet1:/home/richard/install/VideoLan/DVB/driver # make insmod
/usr/src/linux/scripts/pathdown.sh: TOPDIR: parameter null or not set
./makedev.napi
make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/richard/install/VideoLan/DVB/driver'
DIR=`pwd`; (cd /usr/src/linux; make SUBDIRS=$DIR modules)
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18.SuSE'
make -C  /home/richard/install/VideoLan/DVB/driver CFLAGS="-D__KERNEL__
-I/usr/src/linux-2.4.18.SuSE/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -DMODULE"
MAKING_MODULES=1 modules
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/richard/install/VideoLan/DVB/driver'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `modules'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/richard/install/VideoLan/DVB/driver'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18.SuSE'

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/richard/install/VideoLan/DVB/driver'
(       \
insmod dvbdev.o; \
insmod dvb_net.o;                \
insmod i2c-core; \
insmod videodev;                \
insmod dvb_filter.o;                \
insmod dmxdev.o;                \
insmod VES1893.o;               \
insmod VES1820.o;               \
insmod L64781.o;                \
insmod SP8870.o debug=1;        \
insmod tda8083.o;               \
insmod stv0299.o;               \
insmod tuner.o;                 \
insmod saa7146_core.o mode=0;   \
insmod saa7146_v4l.o;           \
insmod dvb_demux.o;             \
insmod dvb_frontend.o;           \
insmod dvb.o init_chan=2 pids_off=0;    \
)
insmod: a module named dvbdev already exists
insmod: a module named dvb_net already exists
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-core.o
insmod: a module named i2c-core already exists
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.o
insmod: a module named videodev already exists
insmod: a module named dvb_filter already exists
insmod: a module named dmxdev already exists
insmod: a module named VES1893 already exists
insmod: a module named VES1820 already exists
insmod: a module named L64781 already exists
insmod: a module named SP8870 already exists
insmod: a module named tda8083 already exists
insmod: a module named stv0299 already exists
insmod: a module named tuner already exists
saa7146_core.o: unresolved symbol kmap_pagetable
saa7146_core.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

saa7146_v4l.o: unresolved symbol saa7146_del_extension
saa7146_v4l.o: unresolved symbol saa7146_add_extension
saa7146_v4l.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
      assistance, only they can help you.

insmod: a module named dvb_demux already exists
dvb_frontend.o: unresolved symbol get_fast_time
dvb.o: unresolved symbol dvb_frontend_poll
dvb.o: unresolved symbol dvb_frontend_get_event
dvb.o: unresolved symbol dvb_frontend_stop
dvb.o: unresolved symbol saa7146_del_extension
dvb.o: unresolved symbol saa7146_get_handle
dvb.o: unresolved symbol dvb_frontend_init
dvb.o: unresolved symbol saa7146_add_extension
dvb.o: unresolved symbol dvb_frontend_demod_command
dvb.o: unresolved symbol dvb_frontend_exit
dvb.o: unresolved symbol dvb_frontend_tune
make: *** [insmod] Error 1
quiet1:/home/richard/install/VideoLan/DVB/driver #