vlc causes windows to crash

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Jul 30 12:42:21 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 11:48, Stephan D´Costa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a windows machine (PII 400MHz, 256MB RAM, Win98 SE) on which vlc
> 0.3.1[vlc-0-3-2 doesn't start at all] always causes the OS to crash.
> When starting vlc everything works fine (good audio and video quality).
> After about 10 minutes audio begins to contain some kind of echoes. When
> I now try to open other applications (i.e. IE) most of the time Windows
> says "not enough memory to start
", even if I have closed videolan
> before. Monitoring the free memory shows that more than 100MB of free
> memory should be available while running vlc.

Could you try a few things...

First try to use this version:
http://www.videolan.org/pub/videolan/testing/vlc-win32-20020730.zip
If it still doesn't work, can you try to alternatively disable the audio
(from a dos command box: vlc --noaudio) and the video (vlc --novideo). It
should pinpoint the problem a little bit more precisely.

Regards,

--
Gildas