compiling vlc

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Jun 6 19:06:37 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002, Fantino Maurizio wrote:

> I always cross compiled vlc from the snapshots using mingw, but I've
> seen that you use wine.
>
> How can I cross compile vlc using wine? (I prefer this interface that
> the gtk one)

   The native Windows interface needs to be compiled with Borland C++
Builder. So first you need to install it. Ours was installed using Wine
but if you have a Windows partition you can try to install it under
Windows.

   Then you need to configure vlc with the following additional flags:

    --enable-intfwin --with-bcbuilder=/path/to/borland

   /path/to/borland is the directory containing Borland C++ Builder, and
the only files needed from it are Bin/bcb, Bin/bpr2mak and Bin/make. We
use Wine, so these files are not the real bcb, bpr2mak and make, but
wrappers to the real functions. Here are the scripts:

~% cat ~/win32/borland-wrappers/Bin/bcb
#! /bin/sh
wine 'C:/Program Files/CBuilder5/Bin/bcb' -- $*

~% cat ~/win32/borland-wrappers/Bin/bpr2mak
#! /bin/sh
wine 'C:/Program Files/CBuilder5/Bin/bpr2mak' -- $* | \
    perl -ne 'print $_ if /\r$/' | tail +4 | grep -v '^Wine'

~% cat ~/win32/borland-wrappers/Bin/make
#! /bin/sh
wine 'C:/Program Files/CBuilder5/Bin/make' -- $*

   bpr2mak needed some tweaking because it outputs a lot of cruft.

   The rest of vlc can be cross-compiled as usual, the Makefile will
just use Borland C++ to build the intfwin.so plugin.

   Note that due to a bug in the Borland commandline linker, you cannot
use it with Wine, and you need to use the graphical version. Since our
build machine does not run X, I installed a virtual X server (Xvfb) and
run it with the following commandline:

    Xvfb -screen scrn 640x480x8

   And we export DISPLAY=:0 before building vlc.

> I've also another question: Can I change the language? How? If you want
> I could make an italian translation if you explain to me what I have to
> do :-)

   Not sure about the Win32 version, maybe Gildas will be more helpful
here. Under Unix, vlc automatically adapts to your locale settings.

   If you want to do translation jobs, find the vlc.pot file in the vlc
sources, it should be fairly easy to understand how to translate it by
having a look at other translations, see fr.po for instance.

Regards,
--
Sam.