setting for widescreen TVs

James Green jg at jmkg.clara.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 21:09:43 CEST 2002

On Thursday 06 June 2002 11:40 am, you wrote:
> Hello.
> It would be really great if VLC could modify the aspect ratio of movies,
> so that we could use the full resolution of widescreen (16/9) TVs.
> This process  is called anamorphosis. The picture appears vertically
> stretched when playing on a standard (4/3) set, but is perfect on a 16/9
> TV
>
> - Most DVDs are already anamorphic, so could we bypass the stretching
> that VLC is doing automatically
> - for other sources (DivX, MPEG), let r be the original aspect ratio of
> the movie, R the anamorphed (?) movie aspect ratio
> we have R=(3/4)xr
> for instance a 640x272 (cinemascope, r=640/272=2.35) will be displayed
> with a 2.35x(3/4)=1.76 aspect ratio (640x362).

Hi there,

I don't know what you're seeing exactly, but when I'm playing a widescreen
orginal cinematic or anamorphic DVD, and enter fullscreen, the aspect ratio
is maintained, i.e. the top and bottom are filled with black.

I'm on Linux, so perhaps you are experiencing a bug with vlc on the Mac?

Hope this proves useful to you.

James Green.