Great Work! (OS X & Lombard PowerBook)

Dave Thorup dthorup at corda.com
Mon Jun 10 19:23:56 CEST 2002

I¹ve been using VLC and following for some time.  It has been the only way
for me to play DVDs on my Lombard (now upgraded with a Powerlogix BlueChip
LS 500 Mhz G4).  Previously even with the 500 Mhz G4 I could only get good
playback in Thousands of colors.  This would have many dropped frames and
was choppy, but still watch-able.  Now with OS X 10.1.5 and the added
support for my graphics card (RagePro LT using the mod found on
xlr8yourmac.com) I can play DVDs in millions with almost no dropped frames!
The quality is amazing and almost like watching DVDs in Mac OS 9 using
Apple¹s DVD player.  Good job to everyone working on the project, especially
those that have worked on the Mac OS X port (adding QuickTime-acceleration
support and such).  VLC has come a long way since 0.3 and I look forward to
the future.

Thanks for a great program!

Dave Thorup

 Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
                 -- Bill Gates, 1983
 Windows 98 requires 16 MB RAM.
                 -- Bill Gates, 1999
 Nobody will ever need Windows 98.