Videoconferencing [was: Re: WMA]

Michael S.Zick mszick at goquest.com
Thu Jun 13 14:15:02 CEST 2002

On Thursday 13 June 2002 01:25 am, you wrote:
> "Michael S.Zick" wrote:
> >
> > . . .
> >
> > > There can't be 5
> > > seconds between a question and an answer,
> >
> > . . .
> > Well, the general public seems to have accepted CNN.
>
> To follow up, I agree - I can live with a quick
> ugly hack that's convenient, rather than the "right way"
> that never seems quite available (at least not for
> free).

Right. Just a quick, ugly hack now; refine it over the coming
years.
Almost anyway.  VLC is a fine program, which is establishing
a fine, widespread reputation.  So it can't be real quick or too
ugly.  Otherwise the public would ignore the "Experimental Hack"
warning and complain about the .... problems with V.C.  Sort of
like the MacOS/QT6 situation now.
But presuming that something could be done that would not
destroy the fine efforts made to date...
(Note: I don't recall if the original poster mentioned if they
where running clustered Cray's...)
Basics:
* Allow VLC to open multiple streams (perhaps upto 4)
.. Cloning additional "input side" threads as required.
* Allow VLC to split its display window (perhaps upto quad
sections.
.. Cloning additional "output side" threads as required.
.. Have some sort of "thread grouping" so there is only
one set of everything that a particular stream source
passes through.
.. Audio already "down mixes" from multiple channels,
now "down mix" from multiple streams.
** perhaps do all of this in a seperate "VLCmux" that
a "standard" VLC can listen to. (perhaps by a memory
based "pipe")
Syncronization:
* "Stuff" into the output stream (perhaps in the form of
modified picture headers) "que packets" (not "queue").
* Having somehow measured "mean, typical, path delay":
... Direct the current sender to "press space bar" when
ALMOST done talking.
... "space bar" starts an on screen "progress bar" set
to complete in the "path delay" time.
... receivers "grab" the "space bar" "que packet" and
displays "something" that means "quit looking dumb
and start talking"
Buffers and appropriate video format:
* Let the "skipped pictures" fall where they may for
now.  Tune later.

OR just suggest to the original poster to execute
four copies of VLC at the same time in four windows
plus a copy of VLCS to send his image with.

Mike