Fullscreen gnome playback

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Fri Jun 14 08:31:44 CEST 2002

On Thursday 13 June 2002 18:45, philo vivero wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:58:52 +0100 (BST)
> GA Burdett <gab103 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I've just tried vlc 4.1, and it's doing the same thing that 3.x did -
> > namely fullscreen playback still has a window border (plus decorations
> > e.g. close, resize, minimize etc.)
>
> I've seen this too.
>
> The problem is that the window is placed at coordinates 0,0. Notice that
> only the top & left border appear. The right & bottom borders are off the
> screen.
>
> If you move the window up & left, you'll see the image is the exact size
> of your screen.
>
> So really it's a placement problem. Don't know why.

VLC can use two method to do "fullscreen". The first method is highly
dependant on the window manager itself so won't work on some of them
(although I haven't seen one which doesn't work myself) but allows better
flexibility because you can still switch other apps to the foreground even
though the video is fullscreen.

The other method (selectable from the "preferences menu" or with the
--xvideo-altfullscreen or --x11-altfullscreen cmd line option) should
_always_ work but no other app will be able to show on top of the video,
even VLC's own interface can't, which is quite annoying (we could hack a
workaround to at least be able to show our own interface but this hasn't
been done yet).

My suggestion would be to try this second fullscreen method. I would also
be interested to know which window manager you are using.

Regards,

--
Gildas