No video window

Dan Nye daniel at nye1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 05:19:55 CEST 2002

I downloaded the binary for Win32 (vlc v0.4.1) which installed OK on my Sony
Vaio PCG-FX209K laptop running Win2K SP2. I have DirectX 8.1 installed.

Whatever I set my screen resolution or colour depth to, whenever I start to
play a DVD, the video window flicks on and then off again - almost
instantly. I see the following in the messages window:

vout: vout_Create DirectXEventThread running
vout: DirectXInitDDraw
vout: DirectDraw Capabilities:
       overlay=0 yuvoverlay=0 can_clip_overlay=1 colorkey=0 stretch=0
vout: End DirectXInitDDraw
vout: DirectXCreateDisplay
vout: DirectXCreateClipper
module: locking video output module `directx'
vout: NewPictureVec
vout error: DirectX can't create plain surface.
vout: End NewPictureVec
vout error: plugin was unable to allocate at least one direct buffer
vout: vout_Destroy
vout: DirectXCloseDisplay
vout: DirectXCloseDisplay clipper
vout: DirectXCloseDisplay display
vout: DirectXCloseDDraw
vout: DirectXEventThread Terminating
vout: DirectXCloseWindow

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I cannot see the video? The sound plays
OK in the background, if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. Please let me know if this is not the correct forum to air technical
problems, and I'll refrain from sending again.

Best regards,
Dan