Title

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Thu Jun 27 17:39:44 CEST 2002

Boris Dorès wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 04:32:24PM (GMT+0200), Pierre wrote:
>
>>This is a message to the owner of the list.
>>Could it be possible to put a  "[vlc]"  in the titles of the messages ?
>>It would be easier to sort mails with this.
>

>   I think it is not really necessary since there is already a header
> field which can be used either with procmail or with an MS Outlook rule
> to sort your mail :

>   hth.

This requires every user of each list to add
a rule for the list, and if they're on multiple
lists that do this, they have to add a rule
for each and every list, and of course they have to
understand what they're doing, and then
they have to do it on every machine they
use for mail (I use both Windows and Linux on 3
machines, so that's 6 changes, though I don't use
Outlook - presumably Netscape mail has something
similar. I also occasionally use an old Mac,
where I'm using "SweetMail", which doesn't
have procmail or other filtering conventions
that I'm aware of).

However, every windowing mail client I've
ever used will let my hit the "Subject" bar
and voila! All my portaudio mails are
sorted under:

     [Portaudio]

all my ffmpeg mails are sorted under

     [ffmpeg-devel]

and all my vls, vlc, vls-devel, and vlc-devel
messages are all over the place.  Even when
I used elm I could use a ^D to get all
mails with [vls] in the title. All without
any thought or configuration - I subscribe
to a new list and I'm finished. I can
even hit Subject, grab all the messages for a list
with mouse and Control key, and *DRAG* them
to another mail box. I know automating this
would make sense so I could check 14 mailboxes
each day rather than my 1 inbox, but I
suppose I'm lazy.

(regarding the feasibility of changing this on
the mailing-list manager, it's an obvious
configuration parameter in Liststar to add
a prefix to all Subject lines, so:

     [vlc]
     [vls]
     [vlc-devel]
     [vls-devel]

automagically gives the users the key to
sorting.)

--
Bill Eldridge
Radio Free Asia