Problems with VLC 0.4.1

Robert J. Hansen rjhansen at inav.net
Fri Jun 28 06:54:41 CEST 2002

Howdy, y'all.  I had VLC 0.4.1 working up until very recently, where I
swapped out my DVD-ROM for a DVD/CD-RW combo.  In order to burn CDs, I
have to tell the kernel that /dev/hdc (aka /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd) is to
be treated as a SCSI device (/dev/hdc=ide-scsi).

Now, though, VLC has busted.

libdvdcss error: failed opening device
dvd error: dvdcss can't open device
module error: requested access module `dvd' unavailable
input error: no suitable access plug-in for `dvd/:/dev/dvd at 1,1'

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

On the off chance that I'd done something hinky to VLC, I recompiled
from source--libdvbpsi, libdvdcss and vlc.  I still get the above
errors.