Problems with VLC 0.4.1

Loïc Minier lool at via.ecp.fr
Fri Jun 28 15:52:24 CEST 2002

"Robert J. Hansen" <rjhansen at inav.net> - Thu, Jun 27, 2002:

> Howdy, y'all.  I had VLC 0.4.1 working up until very recently, where I
> swapped out my DVD-ROM for a DVD/CD-RW combo.  In order to burn CDs, I
> have to tell the kernel that /dev/hdc (aka /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd) is to
> be treated as a SCSI device (/dev/hdc=ide-scsi).
[...]
> libdvdcss error: failed opening device

  What happens if you try to use /dev/sg0 or /dev/scd0 instead of
/dev/hdc ?

  It seems to me ide-scsi is an SCSI emulation module, so you have to
use the so emulated SCSI device instead of hdc. /dev/scd0 should then
be the device to use instead, but I read that /dev/sg0 is the generic
device corresponding to the SCSI device that permits you to send direct
SCSI commands.

  To see the mapping between sg* devices and SCSI devices (/dev/scd*
are only for cdroms - you could also have another SCSI device with a
mapped generic device), use sg_map (of the sg3-utils suite for the 2.4
kernels).

  This is what I have (although my burner isn't DVD capable):
/dev/sg0: scsi1 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em]  type=5

  Please note it has not to be sg0 or scd0, this depends on your SCSI
devices, emulated or not.

--
Loïc Minier <lool at via.ecp.fr>