vlc does not start

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Mar 7 23:27:11 CET 2002

On Thursday 07 March 2002 23:14, Dirk Lerner wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I have a problem and no clue how to solve :)
>=20
> First, I have two PCs with SuSE 7.3. On both I compiled vlc 0.9.2:
>=20
> ./configure
> make vlc
> make install
>=20
> On the first one I can start vlc typing vlc as every user and the gtk
> frontent appears and I can watch DVDs. By the way, the best player I=20
> think :)
>=20
> On the second PC after typing vlc I just get:
>=20
> :~> vlc
> VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.92_2002-03-02 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 Vide=
oLAN
>=20
> and nothing more.
> With strace I get the following error:
>=20
> [...]

I guess it is working fine but it cannot load the GTK interface plugin fo=
r=20
some reason. Make sure this GTK plugin was compiled in (maybe you don't h=
ave=20
the gtk libs installed on this machine and thus the gtk plugin wasn't=20
compiled).

You can make sure this is the problem by running vlc in verbose mode:
=2E/vlc -vvvvvvvvvv (the more the more verbose)

--
Gildas