vlc error INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION reached?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Mar 20 18:22:04 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 Bill Eldridge <bill at rfa.org> Wrote:

>[root at rfa01 bill]# vlc --noaudio http://localhost:8090/test1.vob
>VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.92-dev_2002-03-20 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002
>VideoLAN
>INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION reached (20971637)
>
>What does it mean?

VLC stores the input stream chunks by chunks into buffers allocated by a "buffer manager". When a chunk is not needed anymore the associated buffer should be freed and given back to the buffer manager.
The INPUT_MAX_ALLOCATION error message means there's a leak of this type of buffers and the buffer manager simply runs out of resources.

It's not the first time somebody reports this kind of problem, and I've also seen it myself (also when using the --noaudio option actually) but I haven't been able to track down the source of the problem.

We should add this to the bug list (if it's not already there).

Cheers,

--
Gildas