Problem...

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed May 8 12:24:59 CEST 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002 "Dr. J Dana Eckart" wrote:

>I'm trying to install/use the client (vlc) standalone as a DVD player on
>my laptop.  I'm running Redhat 7.2 and have installed the following rpms:
>
>	a52dec-libs-0.7.3-1.i386.rpm
>	vlc-esd-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>	vlc-ggi-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>	ggi-2.0b2.1-1.i386.rpm
>	vlc-gnome-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>	libdvdcss2-1.1.1-1.i586.rpm
>	vlc-gtk-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>	libmad0-0.14.2b-0.1mdk.i586.rpm
>	vlc-mad-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>	vlc-ncurses-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>	vlc-0.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm
>	xalf-0.11-4.i386.rpm
>
>However when I run "vlc -vvvv" it indicates at the end that it can't find
>an interface:
>
>module: browsing `plugins'
>module: browsing `/usr/lib/videolan/vlc'
>module: module bank initialized, found 30 modules
>config: couldn't open config file /home/dana/.videolan/vlcrc for reading (No such file or directory)
>intf: playlist initialized
>module: locking memcpy module `memcpymmx'
>intf error: no suitable intf module
>intf error: interface initialization failed
>intf: playlist destroyed
>module: unlocking module `memcpymmx'
>intf: program terminated
>
>This doesn't change regardless of the parameters I seem supply vlc.  Any
>help would be greatly appreciated.  BTW I don't use either Gnome or KDE
>but use fvwm2 instead (if that makes a difference).

Sorry, I mixed up part of you mail in my previous answer to John ;-)

Regarding your problem, it seems to me that the problem comes from not having the necessary gtk and gnome libraries (gnome libs are not strictly necessary if you just want to use the gtk interface) installed on your system. So first make sure you have the GTK-1.2 libraries installed.

You could also maybe get more information about which plugins are loaded and which are not and why if you increase the verbose level. Try something like ./vlc -vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Hope that helps

--
Gildas