compiling vlc on win32 fails

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu May 9 20:07:27 CEST 2002

On Thursday 09 May 2002 05:10, zhang wenjiang wrote:

> I followed every step you and new INSTALL.win32 recommaned, get a new vlc
source package, use msys1.0.7,  use new ./configure parameters, rename
mingw's make.exe,  but it seemed the gcc don't work.

> the command:
>
> ./configure \
> --with-gtk-config-path=/c/dev/gtk-win32/bin \
> --with-sdl-config-path=/c/dev/SDL-1.2.3-win32/i386-mingw32msvc/bin \
> --with-directx=/c/dev/dxheaders \
> --with-dvdcss-tree=../libdvdcss-win
>
> the result:

> checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create exectuables.

I don't really see why it's failing here.

Would you have another version of the gcc compiler installed somewhere on
your computer ? Maybe you also installed cygwin ? What I'm thinking is that
maybe the gcc which is detected by the configure script isn't the mingw one.

Try to make sure that your PATH environnement variable is set up correctly.
You can also try to run "gcc -v" to check it actually is the right one.

One last thing, make sure you run "make disctlean" or remove the
config.cache file from your vlc tree as ./configure might use out of date
informations.

Hope this helps.

--
Gildas